Monday, June 18, 2012

...ghar mein Bhai nahin hai kya?

The title will make me sound maybe... I don't know... chauvinistic.

Well, if you call proud of being a guy chauvinistic, I kinda am chauvinistic.

I got the idea of writing this when I was talking to a friend of mine, and we were discussing an incident she had viewed some days ago. Here is a dramatic version.

Once upon a time... there were guys and girls. And guys by virtue of idiotic mannerisms used to try all sort of weird, morally ambiguous, and simply useless way to woo the girls. The girls response was mostly antagonistic, hostile and harsh. But one day the game changed.

Seems like a nice novel.

A girl crept on a boy whom she knew liked her and tied a flowery thread around his wrist...

Mind you this has significance only in India.

...thus entrapping him in bonds of brotherhood. The boy's soul sobbed as he got family-zoned. And walked into the sunset, bleeding invisible droplets of blood from his broken, Rakhi-torn heart.


I don't know if you have witnessed or heard about this, I have, and so have many of my friends (though never had to face it, fortunately). Girls using this below-the-belt Rakhi-solution to bully and bamboozle out a relationship(?) for which neither have any feelings or emotion for.

Don't they know that the guy has non-brotherly feelings for them? Regardless of the fact that the guy might be wanting to get somewhere with you, don't you think this is just plain disrespectful of the sublime bonds that bind a brother to his sister? Doesn't it ... affect their own relationship with their brothers? Would they want to have a brother who HAD (if not now) the hots for them?

Just look at this image which is merely another slap on our culture.


I leave you, here, O treacherous gals who do this to guys who just 'like' them, and direct the question in my title to them. 

1 comment:

Nilanjana said...

True story. And I've always have the same reaction. Never understood it. Would never do it.